Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cabin Fever

Cabin fever is real.  So is bronchitis.  Next step is pneumonia which should be avoided at all costs.  Lack of medical insurance will teach you that if nothing else.

So, the lingering, lounging, endless hours go by while one thousand and two things need to be done before Christmas.  And since Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year, the plans for decorating this year would surpass anything I had ever tried in the past.  Visions of garland with red bows draping the front fence, millions or else thousands of white lights outlining the house, and snowmen and penguins dotting the landscape.  For the first time in a long time, we now lived in a place that just begs for lots of holiday delight.  Woe is me and my name is whiner.

Cabin fever does offer time for reflection...when not napping...and there is plenty of distraction.  Friends and acquaintances fighting cancer and other heartaches.  Reading blogs of women who have lost their mates and struggling to get through the holidays.  Watching videos of heart rending circumstance and courageous efforts to overcome.  Reading verses of encouragement and promise from God's Word and prayer for those suffering.

One week of cabin fever is no equal to a lifetime of suffering or a seemingly endless barrage of continuing bad news, nor is it useless. As with any time of sickness or helplessness, it is another opportunity to realize my dependence on a higher power, one who knows me and loves me and will never leave me. 

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

Tomorrow, God willing, I will be able to leave this house for a short trip.  I will whine no more and I will be grateful more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post your views and comments here. We are all on a journey and our desire should be to help one another along. May God bless you!