Friday, September 9, 2011

Are They Real?

Silhouettes are almost always peaceful, delineating but not challenging.  Crisp, black and white forms with no blemishes, nothing harsh but pleading in its simplicity.  Flat surface.  No depth.  Featureless.

 

The word silhouette comes from the name of Louis XV's finance minister, Etienne de Silhouette. The wealthy blamed Silhouette for the taxes and fees placed upon them because of the financial difficulties caused by the Seven Years' War. Silhouette enjoyed making cut paper profile portraits, and he spent his retirement years decorating his home with them. These portraits soon became associated with his name.

Watching the sun set from my window, the light fading degree by degree, my view was that of rolling hills with the silhouette of cattle continuing their monotonous munching of grass.  I likened it to that scene in Gone With the Wind where Rhett and Scarlett are fleeing the burning city of Atlanta.  Yes, I know, the creatures were different but the silhouettes were no less riveting.

Reaching the grand age of 62, I find I do not want to be a silhouette.  I have blemishes and harsh edges and a past and a life and guilt and a love that I do not want to keep in shadow. 

I have a creator who loves me in spite of the above...maybe because of the above.  I have a purpose and God has a plan.  I cannot stay in shadow but I must open myself up to be glared upon, talked about and accepted or rejected.  I will not be painted into silhouette but will rejoice in color and full bloom.  I will work for Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post your views and comments here. We are all on a journey and our desire should be to help one another along. May God bless you!