Sunday, February 6, 2011

Perspective is Relative

"Everything's relative."  Years ago, I worked in a small office with a guy who had a habit of saying that, like it was the answer to all life's questions.  It was annoying, really.  But whether it was because he said it so many times that it became imbedded in my mind, or whether he actually gave me something worthwhile to think about, I remember his words and they come to me at unexpected times.

During these dreary, snowy, cold days, I struggle to keep busy and not snuggle back in my bed.  I am not motivated nor am I content.  The few times the sun has broken through the glum, I am immediately more energetic, and my spirits are raised considerably.  See, everything's relative!

Living with chronic back pain is not easy (I'm not really changing gears...stay with me!).  Dealing with it and knowing there is no answer to your health problem is frustrating and depressing, draining you of energy better spent elsewhere.  If you aren't careful, your whole life becomes centered around the pain and self-pity for your circumstance.

Then you learn of a good friend who has developed seizures (with no
decipherable underlying cause), which has the ability to take hours from each day of her life, being unable to control them and literally making her a prisoner in her own home.  Suddenly, my back pain is less painful.
Then you think of another good friend who battles MS every single minute of every single day and night - without complaint, I might add.  Suddenly, my problems seem really small and I start...
...praying for my friends who are battling illnesses, for those who have lost their jobs, their homes, their loved ones; counting my blessings, being thankful for the very air I breathe, for the ability to get up out of bed each day to either work or play with my grandchildren, for being a child of God, and I...
...forget...my...back...pain.  

Wasn't our God just the smartest when He taught us to put others first, to love our neighbor as ourselves?  You see, he knew what would happen when we did that.  Our pains, our discomforts and disappointments fade when we use our energies toward others...and I'm pretty sure that's all relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post your views and comments here. We are all on a journey and our desire should be to help one another along. May God bless you!